Fresh. Modern. Endlessly creative. Stop by the Momentary Green for a free concert and enjoy the music of CARM, a multi-instrumentalist, producer, and arranger who has played with Paul Simon, The National, Sufjan Stevens, and Bon Iver. “The musician that other musicians want to play with,” CARM brings classic sensibilities to the contemporary stage.
“This record captures a great young musician exploring the possibilities of his instrument,’” – Paul Simon
“CJ and I have worked together for over 10 years and I truly believe there isn’t a more accomplished brass player in the entire world of music. This record is way more than a “horn” record. It’s a discovery of new heights with what’s possible in creating music.”
– Justin Vernon
Free, no tickets required.
ABOUT THE ARTIST
CARM is the solo project of multi-instrumentalist, producer, and arranger CJ Camerieri. Whether it’s playing the iconic piccolo trumpet solo on Paul Simon’s “The Boxer;” anthemic horn parts on songs like The National’s “Fake Empire,” Sufjan Stevens’s “Chicago,” or Bon Iver’s “For Emma, Forever Ago;” performing with his contemporary classical ensemble yMusic; or recording lush beds of french horns for artists from John Legend to The Tallest Man on Earth, you have very likely heard Camerieri play. He is the musician that musicians want to play with, and that is further evidenced by the cast on his debut.
The music of CARM features the trumpet and french horn in roles typically reserved for drums, guitars, and voices, while also seeking to escape the genre categorizations normally reserved for music featuring an instrumentalist as bandleader. It is not jazz or classical music, nor is it a soundtrack to a larger narrative. This is contemporary popular music that features a sound normally used as a background color and texture as the unabashed lead voice.
According to Camerieri, “CARM started with the question: ‘What kind of record would my trumpet-playing heroes from the past make today?’ I believe they would want to work with the best producers, beat makers, song-writers, and singers to create new, truly culturally relevant music, and that’s what I sought to do with this project.”
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Plenty of space: Arrive early! We recommend arriving about half an hour before the shows to claim your preferred spot. Feel free to bring your own lawn chair or blanket and spread out.
- Food and drink: Hungry or thirsty? Enjoy the culinary creations of the Momentary Food Truck and fun beverages from the RØDE Bar. Open Fridays 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Arvest Bank Courtyard. Or, you’re welcome to pack a picnic for your group, we just ask no big coolers or outside alcohol.
- Easy Parking: We recommend parking in our nearby garage, located next to the 8th Street Market at 801 SE 8th Street. Note: There is an 8′ height limit for the garage.
- Worried about the weather? Call the Inclement Weather line to check on any cancellations or relocations: (479) 657-2488, or catch our Instagram and Facebook stories for the most up-to-date information.
- Safety Precautions: We continue to monitor local COVID-19 trends and government health guidance. As of now, proof of COVID-19 vaccination, testing, and masking are not required to attend this show. Please monitor our website for updates; protocols are subject to change.
ABOUT FREE FRIDAYS ON THE GREEN
Kick back and celebrate summer with free live music on the Momentary Green. Watch the shadows lengthen as you stretch out, unwind, and enjoy the signature sounds of nationally recognized performers all summer long. Check out the full lineup for Free Fridays on the Green, or sign up for eNews and get the latest music updates delivered straight to your inbox.
Sponsored by Kath and Jase McLay and family.
Presented on the Coca-Cola Stage.