The Momentary Presents UNDERSCORED By New York Performance Group Ephrat Asherie Dance
live performances to celebrate new york city’s underground scene, featuring breaking, hip-hop, house, and vogue
BENTONVILLE, Ark. — Ephrat Asherie Dance, a dance company rooted in African American and Latine street and club dances, will perform live at the Momentary in Bentonville, Arkansas. A week of events featuring the group will include a film screening, artist conversation, dance workshop, and three live performances of breaking, hip-hop,house, and vogue dance.
WHAT: Three live performances of UNDERSCORED by Ephrat Asherie Dance, featuring breaking, hip-hop, house, and vogue dance. Created and performed by members of the company with special guest artists from New York City’s underground scene, this work invites audiences to join in on an exhilarating journey through the ever-changing physical landscape of the City’s underground dance community.
WHEN: Friday, September 29 at 7PM | Saturday, September 30 at 7PM | Sunday, October 1 at 2PM
WHERE: The Momentary RØDE House | 507 SE E St., Bentonville, AR 72712
WHO: Ephrat Asherie Dance (EAD) is a dance company rooted in African American and Latine street and social dances. Dedicated to revealing the inherent complexities of these forms, EAD explores the expansive narrative qualities of various street and club styles including breaking, hip-hop, house, and vogue, as a means to tell stories, develop innovative imagery, and find new modes of expression.
EAD’s first evening-length work, A Single Ride, earned two Bessie nominations in 2013 for Outstanding Emerging Choreographer and Outstanding Sound Design by Marty Beller. The company has presented work at The Apollo Theater, Celebrity Series, Columbia College, Dixon Place, FiraTarrega, Guggenheim Works & Process, Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, La MaMa, River to River Festival, Mass MoCA, New York Live Arts, Summerstage and The Yard, among others.
HOW: General admission tickets are $20. Member tickets are $15. Student and teacher tickets are $10. Tickets can be purchased online or by calling the Box Office at (479) 657-2335.
ADDITIONAL EVENTS FEATURING EPHRAT ASHERIE DANCE AT THE MOMENTARY:
WHAT: “Check Your Body at the Door” | Film Screening + Artist Conversation
- WHEN: Tuesday, September 26 | 6PM
- WHERE: The Momentary Fermentation Hall | 507 SE E St., Bentonville, AR 72712
- WHY: An opportunity for audiences to enjoy a live screening of “Check Your Body at the Door” and join the conversation afterwards with Ephrat Asherie and dance legend Archie Burnett – the film’s griot/guiding star.
- HOW: Free, no tickets are required.
WHAT: Shake-A-Leg with Ephrat and Archie | Multigenerational Dance Workshop
- WHEN: Saturday, September 30 | 12PM
- WHERE: The Momentary RØDE House | 507 SE E St., Bentonville, AR 72712
- WHY: Guests can learn from the best at this multigenerational dance workshop, hosted by legends Ephrat Asherie and Archie Burnett. Participants will learn some moves and hear from the experts. Presented in a lecture and demonstration format, this workshop is created to inform, connect, and bring individuals from all generations together through street and social dance.
- HOW: Tickets are $10 and can be purchased online or by calling the Box Office at (479) 657-2335.
About the Momentary
Opened in February of 2020 in Downtown Bentonville, the Momentary is conceived as a platform for the art, food, and music of our time. It is a catalyst for creativity and economic vitality, and a welcoming hub that gathers and celebrates local heroes and international stars. The Momentary was founded by the Walton family, based on the vision of Tom, Olivia, and Steuart Walton. The Walton Family Foundation is supporting this project as a way to enhance the quality of life in Northwest Arkansas. Its commitment to cultivating arts and cultural experiences provides more opportunities for education, engagement, and enjoyment in our region. The Momentary is an extension of Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, founded by Alice Walton. The Momentary welcomes all with free general admission. Additional offerings include live music, an artist-in-residence program, culinary experiences such as Onyx Coffee Lab and the sky-high Tower Bar, indoor and outdoor gathering spaces, an outdoor festival space, and a retail shop. For more information, visit theMomentary.org. The Momentary is located at 507 SE E Street, Bentonville, Arkansas 72712. The Momentary’s Founding Funders are Walton Family Foundation, Walmart, RØDE Microphones, The Coca-Cola Company, Tyson Family Foundation, and Willard and Pat Walker Charitable Foundation.